Friday, September 10, 2010

The Beige Diet

Carter has been on a strict “beige diet” (as our pediatrician calls it) for a little over a month now. He eats mac and cheese (he demands mac and cheese), grilled cheese, pancakes, waffles, toast, apple sauce and yogurt – all beige-ish colored foods.

His pediatrician says that a lot of toddlers go through this – and it’s perfectly normal.

I, however, tend to freak out that he will spontaneously combust if he doesn’t get enough fruits and veggies too. So I have been mixing vegetables into his mac and cheese and hoping that at least some of it gets eaten. But my little guy is pretty clever – and he tends to notice when I sneak things onto his plate. So I have started to try more tricks. DVR-ed dora episodes, games during meals (flash cards (yea yea...I do flash cards with him...it helps his speech), and I have even let him have a matchbox car (or two) at the table…anything to keep him entertained enough to not notice the various non-beige foods I am trying to sneak by him.

But, in giving him toys at the table…I guess I should expect some food/toy messes. Here is one of the latest games he plays:
He loads up his dump truck with mac and cheese, drives it around his plate, he backs it up to the end of the table (while making beeping noises) and then dumps it into his mouth. Oh well, I can't think of any news stories where kids died from too much mac and cheese - or eating mac and cheese out of a toy truck...can you?
Plus, I figure... working on the ability to eat food while doing strange things will only just prepare him for college. Or would that be doing-strange-things and drinking? Or, doing-strange-things after drinking. Whatever - it's gotta prepare him for something.

2 comments:

Bilbo said...

Mac and Cheese. What would children eat if it weren't for Mac and Cheese and Chicken Nuggets?

Gotfam said...

I think Carter would starve himself. Or just live off grilled cheese. My question is...what would become of my child if suddenly there was no american cheese slices in the world?