Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Mom Blogger on Target

Dear Target,

I have been a life long fan. I really have. I shop at your stores weekly (often ... daily). I love that I can buy almost everything I need (minus a few grocery items) from your stores…and don’t necessarily have to go anywhere else. Convenience is important to mommies.

But you have pissed me off. I know you’re big….and probably feel invincible…but guess what – you can’t go pissing off your target (no pun intended) demographic and get away with it. And you just did it.

I’m a stay-at-home mom of two. I buy diapers at your stores, formula, clothing, and pretty much everything else you sell. Heck – I just ordered a microwave for my basement kitchen from your online store.

But that was then. And this is now.

You may feel like you’re not going to alienate a big group of your shoppers…but really – when you are anti-gay…it’s not just gay people that you’re alienating. You’re alienating anyone that believes in fairness, equality, love, equal rights, etc etc etc etc throughout the country, world….and more importantly…throughout your shopping audience. And whether or not some of your executives are homophobic, uber-weird religious (although I still don’t think religion should be used as an excuse to spread hate…but that’s my non-religious view) or whatever your problem is … I at least thought your PR department was smarter than this.

Now...here is my new opinion: Screw you and your convenient shopping. I’ll happily drive around and shop at multiple places. I already phased out Wal-mart after (I don’t have enough room on the entire world wide web to list the reasons I stopped shopping at walmart)….very easily. In fact, it wasn’t even “phasing out”…I just stopping going there all-together (and haven’t stepped foot in one in years…heck, almost 10 years).

Now, if you fix this ... I will reconsider this decision.

Afterall, "At Target, diversity is much more than a goal or campaign. It’s a core value we integrate into every area of our business — from our suppliers, to our teams, to the shopping experience in our stores. We foster an inclusive culture that allows our high-performing and diverse team to drive innovation. " Right Gregg?

2 comments:

Bilbo said...

Note to self: do not piss off this lady.

Wendy said...

Target... tsk, tsk, tsk. I'm with her on this one...