Sunday, July 12, 2009

Three Years Ago Today

Three years ago today, it was a Wednesday. It was a rainy Wednesday.

I left work at about 5:15 and Chad had already called me twice to find out when I'd be home. Not typically a slow driver during rush hour, I was driving about 10 miles per hour under the speed limit since it was raining so hard. To the point that people were stopping on the shoreway going through downtown Cleveland because of the flash floods.

So the next time Chad called to see when I was going to be home, I snapped at him, “why are you rushing me?”
Chad, “umm…beeecause I’m hungry…”
Me, “then order a pizza or something…”

You can imagine my surprise when I walked into my house and found a trail of rose petals and notes. The notes were on stationary that chad had made from pictures of us. And he had hand written letters about our relationship and how much he loved me in each note.

As I walked along the path of rose petals and read the notes, I cried (and I’m not a crier). There was roses, rose petals, an amazing dinner set on the dining room table and (surprisngly) no animals...they were locked in a bedroom so they wouldn't eat rose petals.

I got to the top of the stairs (in the century home that we had lovingly (and painstakingly) fixed-up) and there was Chad in a full suit. I found out that the reason that he kept calling was because our century home had no ac (at that point…when I got pregnant…I put a quick hault to our lack of air). So, of course, he was sweating his cute butt off.

He had a whole speech prepared about how honored he would be if I would marry him (most of which I don’t remember because I was sobbing at this point). And then he presented the most gorgeous ring I had ever seen.

Needless to say – I said yes. Three years ago today.

No comments: