Monday, May 18, 2009

On Pregnancy

I was talking to some friends about pregnancy the other night, and it comes up that one of my friends and I were the only women ever to walk the face of the earth that didn’t think pregnancy was the next best thing since sliced bread. Here is what I have to say about that.

Other women lie. Liars liars … pants on…fire..rs

They lie. Who knows why, but if I had to guess – it would be because everyone expects women to be so elated that they’re pregnant that they love every little pregnancy occurrence. It’s like someone wrote somewhere that you’re not allowed to be annoyed with your pregnancy or it makes you this horrible mother-to-be and miracle-of-life hater.

This isn’t the case. This is just a case of people being idealist and annoyingly judgmental. I was very excited to be pregnant and LOVE being Carter’s mommy. However, I hated being pregnant. I’m not going to lie…go ahead – judge me.

Call me crazy, but throwing up for months, not being able to drink (alcohol), getting HUGE, not being able to poop normal, watching your once slender fingers and toes being mini jimmy deans, not being able to stay up past 9pm (read: 7), wanting to kill anyone in your path, having random food avoidance issues, having blood taken and tested every week, dilation checks, flatulence, more flatulence, hair falling out, skin breaking out …and then don’t start me on the process of giving birth…it’s not fun people.

Now is it worth it…YES. Is it fun…sometimes....but mostly - NO.

Don't get me wrong - there are wonderful and fun things about pregnancy as well. But when I look back at pregnancy - I am not going to lie to myself and say that it was like this wonderful fairy land where puppies bring you ice cream and you float around on clouds ... made of more ice cream.

So, the moral of the story is…honesty is the best policy.

No comments: